This is 40: Kind of like getting your hand stamped at the club

September 10
This is one 40-year-old's version of getting a hand stamped the club: I wrote "DT" on my hand
to remind me I have diabetes and high triglycerides. Yes, I ate the Zebra Cakes.

As I mentioned, I'm traveling all this week through rolling biscuit hills split by streams of sausage gravy. I mean the deep south. But this month, I am tasked with lowering my blood sugar and triglycerides! I need to avoid sweets and fried food. Is it possible to eat healthy food while on the road? Technically, yes, it is. It is technically possible to get fruit or nuts at gas stations, to get salads at fast food places.

While it is possible to purchase better options, is it possible to make your brain tell your hands to pick those things rather than french fries or doughnuts? I've been testing myself, not always winning.

WINS

  • At the airport, I chose a turkey wrap over Raising Cane's chicken fingers (a.k.a. Guthrie's chicken pre-tenders).
  • Ate an exceedingly healthy and wholesome meal at True Food Kitchen.
  • Ate a salad for lunch yesterday.
  • Abandoned a McDonald's drive thru, thanks to calories posted on the menu.
LOSSES
  • I have eaten a year's ration of Chips Ahoy and Little Debbie's.
  • I ate fried fish, french fries, and hush puppies (BUT I planned on this and it was my one big fried meal for the whole week.)
  • Too many Diet Cokes.
I still think I am keeping the temptation mostly in check. Here's a list of my favorite Road Foods that I have not eaten on this trip:
  1. Slim Jim
  2. Bugles
  3. King sized candy bars
  4. Boiled peanuts (deadly to my child, will never eat again)
  5. Pork rinds
  6. DQ Blizzard
  7. Donut sticks
  8. Doritos
  9. Jelly Belly
  10. Pop Tarts

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I spend 24 hours alone and this is what happened

Happy Birthday Jelly Head

Day 5 of social isolation; Day 3 of no contact outside of household