Are we still having the minimalist shoe debate, or was that settled?

Someone still needs to paint my porch. (Hey, if you are from Atmore, do you have trouble not spelling it "Poarch"? I do.)

I feel like there was a very narrow window of time when it was cool to wear Vibram Fivefingers. First there was that book about barefoot running (which, by the way, everyone should read). Nick started wearing the "toe shoes" right after reading Born to Run. He loved them instantly and continued to wear them for years until he just couldn't stomach how quickly they wore out.

The last time I wore traditional (cushiony) running shoes was in a 5k about five years ago. I limped through the race with shin splints and calf cramps, then threw the shoes in the parking lot trash can as I was leaving. I never had calf cramps again while wearing Fivefingers or another current fave -- Merrell Trail Gloves.

True confession: I wore a pair of retro New Balance on the treadmill Monday and winced with cramps the whole way.  I was just trying not to look like a dork. But then today!  I went out with my old Vibrams, pushing Mamie in the heat, and I felt like an easy breeze slipping through the neighborhood!  I don't know if they make me look like a dork or a poseur; I don't know if experts are salivating to tell me I'm too fat for minimalist running.

I DO know it makes me feel good. Debate settled!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I spend 24 hours alone and this is what happened

Happy Birthday Jelly Head

Day 5 of social isolation; Day 3 of no contact outside of household